edotco Unveils Strategic Goals for Empowering Communications in Myanmar
YANGON, 14 January 2016
- Expansion into Myanmar by one of the largest regional tower companies
- Introduction of enhanced suite of tower and power offerings to the market
- Aims to build and own up to 5,000 towers over the next three years
- Planned investment of US$200 million into Myanmar over the next five years
edotco Group Sdn Bhd (“edotco”) has today unveiled its strategic goals for empowering communications in Myanmar at the official launch of edotco operations in Myanmar. Together with its local partner, Yoma Strategic Holdings Ltd (“Yoma”), edotco is committed to the growth of its business in Myanmar, combining Yoma’s local market experience with edotco’s expertise in mobile tower and infrastructure sharing for the benefit of customers and this new market. edotco plans to invest US$200 million] over the next five years, with the aim to build and own up to 5,000 towers over the next three years.
edotco Group Chief Executive Officer, Suresh Sidhu, remarked, “We are dedicated to establishing a high quality telecommunications network in Myanmar. This will be achieved through the introduction of sustainable and value-added services, such as alternative energy solutions, dual-purpose structures and our proprietary echo remote monitoring and management system. Through edotco Myanmar, we are committed to enabling connectivity in the country; delivering reliable and superior network service to end users through the deployment and effective management of passive telecoms infrastructure.
“We are excited to be a part of the development of Myanmar’s telecoms industry and to contribute to the country’s progress by sharing our international best practice and operational excellence expertise. With our extensive experience and successes in empowering communications in a number of developing Asian countries, edotco is best-placed to serve as a strategic partner to Myanmar, its economy and its people.”
Melvyn Pun, Chief Executive Officer of Yoma Strategic commented, “Together with edotco, we are committed to investing into telecoms infrastructure in Myanmar. The availability of a reliable nationwide telecoms network will make a meaningful difference to the lives of Myanmar people, and we are proud to play a role in this development.”
Entering this new market will allow edotco to:
- Serve as a strategic partner in the growth of Myanmar’s telecommunications industry, ultimately contributing to the nation building of Myanmar.
- Extend its regional expertise in end-to-end solutions in tower services into Myanmar, including its best-in-class echo centre.
- Stimulate the rapid development and enhancement of telecoms infrastructure, by delivering real and transparent operational improvement.
- Benefit from the huge growth potential of the Tower market in Myanmar, which is expected to grow from current ~7.9k towers to ~29k towers by 2024.
Established in 2012, edotco is a wholly owned telecommunication infrastructure services subsidiary of Axiata with independence in its management and operations. edotco provides end-to-end solutions in the tower services sector including co-locations, build-to-suit, energy, transmission and operations and maintenance O&M in the region of Asia.
As the first regional tower services provider in Asia, edotco delivers equal access and efficient telecommunications infrastructure services and solutions across a portfolio of over 16,000 towers in our countries of operation: Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Pakistan and Myanmar. edotco’s services are supported by state-of-the-art real time monitoring service, echo.